Time Required: 20 to 30 Hours
Yields About 1 Quart Ice Cream
What You Need:
- 1½ quart ice cream freezer container
- large saucepan
- fine strainer
- large bowl
- 2 cups CannaMilk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Combine CannaMilk, half-and-half, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large saucepan and whisk together thoroughly. Cook over medium heat while stirring constantly until mixture starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a separate bowl while gradually adding 1 cup of the hot canna-cream from the saucepan. Return hot canna-cream and yolk mixture to the saucepan while whisking constantly.
- Heat everything for an additional 2 minutes; stir constantly.
- Pour the canna-cream mixture through a fine strainer and into a large bowl. Discard any solids.
- Chill cream uncovered in refrigerator for 1 hour; stir occasionally. Place plastic wrap on top of cream mixture after 1 hour. Let chill for another 12 to 24 hours.
- Pour cold cream mixture into 1½ quart ice cream freezer container. Stir in vanilla extract, peppermint extract and food coloring. Place container in freezer.
- Remove container from freezer after 3 hours (before it freezes completely); stir in dark chocolate pieces. Return container to freezer for another 6 hours, or until ice cream is firm.
- Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before scooping and serving.